Saturday 3 September 2016

Does Makeup Expire?

Hello Everyone! 

A couple of days ago, I watched a YouTube video where makeup expiry dates were mentioned.

Usually, I went by what I had been told in the past, which was basically that any powder should be alright for about 3-4 years, creams for about 2 years etc. But little did I know....

My husband asked me not long ago, how I know how long my makeup will last. I just replied, as long as it does not crumble or smell weird I am sure it is still ok to use. Just as long it is not way over the above mentioned time frames. Anyways, in this particular video it was explained that the little open cream pot with a number and 'M' inside it which is printed on each makeup or skin care item indicates the expiry date. To be honest, I had never paid attention to this symbol, neither did I look for it. 

Almost immediately after hearing about this, I went to my makeup draws and started to check each piece of my precious collection. Almost every single item was out of date and I had to toss as good as all my make up.

For the first few days, I was really upset about having to throw away almost all of it. However, by now I see it as a fresh start to having minimal makeup, only having products that I will actually use up and that I love. To be honest, I feel so much better about my makeup by now because I actually enjoy every single item and I am not constantly thinking 'Oh, I need to use this or I need o use that' anymore. 

Also, there is of course the health aspect of using expired makeup. I am not an expert or a doctor but using old makeup can cause eye irritations and worse. So please be aware of this. For information on this topic please consult with a doctor.

Over all, these were the approximate expiry dates that I came by mostly.

Lipgloss: 12 month

Lipstick: 24 month

Powders: 12 month

Foundation: 12 month

Mascara: 6 month

These dates of course also apply to skincare. I know that from now on, I will religiously be checking the dates on each packaging and ruthlessly be discarding any item which is going past this date, no matter how much I love it.

Love,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment